Friday, November 21, 2008

Becoming a Teacher

Being a teacher is not always what I wanted to do. When I was way younger I wanted to be a nurse. I could never do that now! GROSS! When I was a little older I decided that I wanted to be a Judge. Crazy I know... Then when I was even a little older I wanted to be a Physical Therapist. I actually even looked into going into it. I looked at programs I looked at the kinds of things I could do with it and more. Now looking back I have no idea why I wanted to be any of those things. My senior year I just all of the sudden decided Elementary Education and that I was going to BYU-Idaho...both things that i had pretty much sworn off my entire life. But you know I am so happy with my decision. I really love being with children!

I had a really awesome experience. The kind of experience that makes you realize why you're doing what you are doing. I was in my Literacy Practicum class doing the same thing I always do. This time I was playing a literacy game with a small group of kids. They had to pick a card and read it. This one particular boy (hes so cute and so sweet I want to take him home with me) picked a card that said "what is" he had trouble with it and got stuck on what. He kept saying "wat" and then would look at me because he knew it wasn't right. So I said alright lets take a look at this. He showed me and usually I would have just told him what it was. But this time I said try and read the next word...maybe that will help you! Then he said "wat is" and thought for a second then said "WHAT IS!!!!" he got SO excited!!!!! he got a huge smile on his face!! I think it was awesome for both of us! He felt so accomplished because he figured it out by himself! I felt so accomplished because he figured it out by himself! I live for those moments!I think that that is what being a teacher is all about!! Being a teacher is not about regurgitating information and praying that students will soak in some of it. Being a teacher is guiding the students to make their own discoveries! Not to mention I think that they remember it so much better that way. This way it has actual meaning to them its not just something they have to do because mom and dad make them go to school! I love being a teacher and im learning how more and more every day!!! it rocks my world!

No comments: