Friday, May 13, 2011

Balance

There's this song that was on my friends facebook page a while ago and I listened and kind of fell in love with the song. It is sung by Natalie Weiss, who is simply amazing! It's called Quiet. It kinda goes along with some things I have been thinking lately. It  says:
 "What's the perfect balance between yelling too much, and not yelling enough so that people don't walk over you. Is it a crime just to want to be nice, to avoid confrontation, and show everyone a little respect. Time after time I find that I'm struggling to tell you what's burning inside..."

I probably don't mean it in the same context as the song (if you go listen to it). But I suppose I have been contemplating balance in all things lately. Especially in relationships, not just romantic ones. I had a friend sit me down and tell me how I needed to be more "fun" (his version of fun) and that I needed to go out to parties and be more outgoing. And I agree, partially. I don't think I should change who I am just to be more "fun". I don't enjoy going to parties. I am the quiet one in the corner because I don't want to be there. I tried to explain our personality differences there, but he chalked it up to me being a "good Mormon girl". Don't take this the wrong way. He sounds like a jerk when I explain it that way. He is very outspoken. I take everything he said with about a GALLON of salt. It didn't bother me per-say, I am pretty comfortable with who I am...  but it did make me think.  What's the balance?? I don't want to be the sit-at-home-hermit-girl but at the same time I'm not the go out wild and crazy girl either.... and for that matter... Where's the balance for a lot of things... flirty but not too flirty, nice but not too nice, happy but not too happy, mature but not boring, etc.... Is it a crime to be shy?? or to like staying at home once in a while? or not be the outgoing-get-all-the-boys type of girl????Admittedly I am shy. I have to get to know someone pretty well before my personality really comes out and I think that gets translated and me being boring. I have to say, I am a million times better now that I was in High School. Progress is progress?

And as for the last line in the song... I feel like a lot of times, for some reason, I have hard time explaining myself out loud. In almost anything. Sometimes, when I blog, it comes out easily and nicely and I feel better after doing it... but other times, like today, I don't feel satisfied in getting my thoughts on paper. It still feels jumbled. Any way.... a moment in my brain for you......

No comments: