Sunday, July 15, 2012

Personal History of Sorts...Part 1

WARNING --- Novel length post!!! My good friend Emme did this on her blog and I thought it was a really good idea! I kind of use my blog as a journal, so having this history and information written down will be fun to go back and look at, or even for future generations to read. If you don't want to read, I won't be offended... :) Also, Its long so I split it into the same sections she did... Pretty much  I'm an Emme copy cat... Thanks Em, I always looked up to you! :)

Your birth and family
What is your full name and how did you get that name?
Kelsey Colleen Hokanson
I guess my parents just liked the name Kelsey. They never really gave me a particular reason why... just that they liked it. My middle name, Colleen, was my maternal grandmothers name. She always kind of spoiled me because I was her namesake. :)

What are you parents full names and birth dates and places?
Lin Dee Hokanson - Born in Afton, Wyoming on August 30, 1954
Annette Asplund Hokanson - Born in Logan, UT on May 9, 1953

What is your date of birth?  Where were you born?  What are some of the circumstances of your birth?
June 15, 1987 in Afton, Wyoming. I was born on my due date because my mom had to have a C-section with all 4 kids.   

What are your siblings full names and dates of birth?
Whitney Lynn Hokanson Whiting (sheesh) - July 20, 1981
Mark Shane Hokanson - December 29, 1982
Lon Dee Hokanson - January 15, 1985

How was your relationship with your siblings and parents?
I remember being happy as a kid. I was the youngest. My siblings always said I was spoiled, and I always felt picked on, but even still I remember admiring all 3 of them so much and wanting them to think I was cool. I loved it when they took the time to play with me... Even when my brothers version of playing with me was making me be the GI Joe with no arms or legs and then blowing me up in the first 5 mins... Or singing "stick her in the foliage" while marching around the back yard in California. My sister was always too cool for me when she lived at home. The only time we really got to spend time together is when she let me paint her toe nails. I got to be quite good because I would ask her if I could redo them all the time. I even did them for her wedding. I remember wanting to redo them because they looked really bad but she was sick of sitting there forever. HA 

I also remember playing alone a lot. We had a lot of land behind our house in California and I would just go wander back there. Probably into other peoples yards, but I remember it being a really cool kind of forest-y place and I would just wander back there for hours. There was a little stream I would play in. There was also 2 mean dogs that lived across the street and would chase me. Sometimes I would sneak back behind the house to get home to avoid them. Other times I sat on the curb til my dad got home and could walk me past the dogs. and still other times I would just stand at the end of the road and yell until someone in my family would come rescue me. 

I always got along pretty well with my parents. I always wanted to please them and make them happy.  I rarely did anything I knew they wouldn't like because I was so worried about disappointing them. I was a Daddy's girl and a Momma's girl. My siblings say I was spoiled -- I say I just learned from their mistakes and knew how to word things right to get my way.... 

What are some lessons you've learned from your parents?
I dont know if I could name them all!! The first thing that comes to my mind is that they taught me to rely on my Heavenly Father. My parents had a lot of struggles in their lives, at least from my point of view, but I never once saw them lose faith. If anything they turned to Heavenly Father and because stronger. They were very strongly led by him and trusted in him. I saw my parents as very faithful  people. 

How did you help in your home?
the thing I remember doing the most is setting the table. HAHA kind of strange i suppose... We would also do household projects as a family. I was usually designated hammer holder or something to that effect. When we still lived in Star Valley I remember my mom writing all the chores on a small piece of paper and we had to pick our chores that way. Every Saturday morning, if I remember correctly


Growing up, early years
Where did you grow up? Describe it.
I was born in Star Valley and lived there til I was 9. I honestly remember very little. We had a small farm house, with lots of stray cats. We had a big back yard/field that had old barns and stuff like that. We would play in them sometimes. The only thing that separated my house and my grandparents house was a field full of horses. My family torn down the old garage and built a giant new one.  Soon after that we moved to California. I have already retold my main California memories... and strangely still remember the address there... 44293 Copper Creek way Coarsegold, California 93614

What's your earliest memory?
A family vacation to Portland Oregon. We went to the beach and all I really remember was that there was quick sand or sink holes or something and I wanted to put my shoes by the sign so I wouldnt forget where they were, but Whitney wouldnt let me because she said my shoes would disappear in the sink hole. and I remember being really sad. HAHA

What games did you play as a child?
All the girly things. barbies, dolls, house, teacher, etc. I also played a lot of boy games because all the kids my age in Star Valley were boys. Not to mention I had 2 older brothers. 

Where did you go to school?
Metcalf Elementary, Rivergold Elementary, and Coarsegold Elementary

Who were your friends?
Rhoda Sevingy, Stefanie Pantuso, Olivia Pogue, Katie Peck, Lizzie -- I cant remember her last name.

Who were your favourite teachers and why?
Mrs. Rowley in 3rd grade. She was young, and new to the school and really nice. I LOVED 3rd grade. I also really liked Mrs. Coulomb. She taught 4th grade and took me under her wing when I was new to the school.

What were your chores?
I never had set chores... I did what ever I picked, or whatever I was told I had to do before going to a friends house.

Growing up, teenage years
What activities did you participate in?
I did church volleyball... our team never was good, but it was fun. My Sophomore and Junior years of high school I was a techy for the drama department and found costumes and props for all the plays. 

How did you learn to drive?  What kind of car did you have?
I feel like my parents kind of took turns teaching me. And Lon even taught me some. At first,  I drove an old buick until it died... then i drove my moms bright yellow suzuki Aerio. My first car was my dads old White Chevy malibu

Who were your friends?
Stefanie Pantuso, Mindi Roberts, Lena Rice, Sarah Schrubb, Jenny Gaither, Jenny Trevino

Did you have a boyfriend?
Ha! No. I had several crushes, but I was always to shy do to anything about it.

What did you like/dislike about school?
Friends!! That was my favorite part. I hated math. I was never very good at it. I had to retake Geometry. 

What was your first paid job?
I was a breakfast attendant for the comfort inn and suites. I just kept all the food stocked up during breakfast and cleaned up when it was done. When I was done cleaning, I vacuumed the hall ways, washed the windows to the pool area, cleaned the public bathroom, etc etc. Sometimes I helped clean rooms. I got paid $7.00 an hour

What were your chores at home?
Same as above.

1 comment:

hokime said...

I hate math too!! you reminded me of a lot of good memories! I love you!